Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I find resources and award sheets for my courses?

Log In into your My Royal account then head over to Programs>Community Trainers> Aquatic or First Aid resources

What is an Electronic Award Sheet?

An electronic award sheet is an excel spreadsheet that is designed for you to type in the participant's information to avoid any miss-spelt names and difficulties reading their details and is far more efficient. When delivering a Unit of Competency additional paperwork must be completed and submitted along with the excel award Sheet. 

Where do I send my award sheets?

Scan and email all documents to

If you cannot scan and email, post the award sheet to:

Royal Life Saving WA
PO Box 28
Floreat Forum WA 6014

(ensure you keep copies before posting)

How much is the award fee?

$19.80 per participant for all the awards and $24.20 per participant for the E-learning courses.

How long does it take for my participants to receive their award/statement of attainment?

Royal Life Saving WA will take a maximum of 10 working days to email your participants their award/statement of attainment. During peak periods this will increase to 20 working days.

How long do I have to keep the theory exams for?

All assessments are to be kept for a minimum of 1 year

Do I provide my own equipment?

In order to meet the requirements of the awards/units of competence you will be required to have a variety of equipment. For all equipment purchases please see our shop page

Deeming a participant Not Yet Competent (NYC)?

Participants should be provided with feedback on their performance throughout the duration of the course. If you deem a participant NYC, this result should be discussed (give reasons) in a private meeting at the end of the course. You must then document the NYC and reasons on the award sheet and provide the participant with a Participant Reassessment form to take with them to their next course.The participant has 3 months to complete a reassessment.

What is a reasonable adjustment?

The trainer is responsible for making rational adjustment before deeming the participant competent/NYC as long as those don't affect the overall outcome of the assessment.


  • Assessing the participant verbally if they have dyslexia is considered a reasonable adjustment
  • Doing CPR on the table is not acceptable

What is the difference between a Unit of Competency and a Royal Life Saving Award?

A Unit of Competency is nationally recognised and must meet the requirements of the training package, outlined on

A Royal Life Saving Award follows the requirements outlined in the Swimming and Life Saving Manual.

What is the difference between the CPR and Resuscitation Awards?

The RLSSWA Resuscitation Award doesn't include the Unit of Competency HLTAID009 which is embedded in the CPR. The content of the courses are similar but Aquatic and Resuscitation Trainers can only deliver the RLSSWA Resuscitation award. Only accredited First Aid Trainers can deliver the HLTAID009 Unit of Competency.

When and how do I requalify my Trainer qualification?

The Trainer certificate expires on June 30 each year.

All your awards must be up to date before completing the Trainer requalification form. You will not be able to deliver any course unless your trainer status is current.

What is an MOU?

A Memorandum of understanding is an agreement between Royal Life Saving WA and the Trainer. It is designed to recognise responsibilities between the parties.

How do I access and complete professional development?

A list of online Professional Development sessions is available for all our trainers. You are required to Register for the session first and then access the course by Login into My Royal account.   Click here to access the Professional Development sessions

Can requalifying my awards be counted as professional development?

No. Requalifying your awards and completing/attending professional development sessions are two different requirements.

For example, Aquatic Trainers must keep up the aquatic award that they train (in most cases a Bronze Medallion) and also complete required professional developments throughout the year.

close up of large question mark on blackboard

Have another question?

Contact us button